Sunday, August 18, 2013

Back to Work in Paradise

I am happily back in Kekaha! We have a new Sister living with us this year, Sister Verone. She is delightful! She is our cook and she also spends time doing homebound ministry with one of our parishioners, Bev. I am sure she does a nice job with that. She sure is a good cook.

These past few days, we have had  one of our Sisters and a Kauai native, Sister Roselani, over for a visit. It was enjoyable. We visited some of her favorite places, including the Menehune Fishpond and Kukuiolono Park. The park was my favorite. It was so peaceful there, and seemed to have a nice golf course (but that is coming from someone who has never golfed). We also treated Sister Roselani to Roselani ice cream at Super Duper Two. Our friend, Lisa (Bev's daughter) owns it, so we like to go there. Plus, it's good ice cream.  I love living in a small town. It's like Grand Rapids, where you know everyone. :)

We are entering into our third week of school already, and things are coming easier for my second year of teaching. This year, I am teaching 2nd/3rd split. It's a lot of fun. I enjoy helping kids learn to read and do math and I am excited to help the second graders prepare for their First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion.

I still haven't hit the beach yet or climbed any mountains but I am looking forward to doing those things soon.

2 comments:

  1. Sr. Monica,
    My name is Neil Nitta and I am a graduate of St. Theresa (c/o '83). I remember Sr. Roselani, who was my 1st grade music teacher. I also have an aunt (Sr. Thereselle Arruda) who is also a member of the Franciscans. She is currently in Bapchule, Arizona and she teaches the 2nd grade.
    As for myself, I am a teacher at Damien Memorial School on Oahu and I teach Middle School religion. I have taught for the past 20 years at Damien (17 years in the High School division and the past 3 years in the Middle School). I enjoy reading your blogs, especially since its all about
    St. Theresa School. I am grateful to all of the Franciscan Sisters who taught me and the religious values that they instilled in me. I look forward to reading all of your other blogs in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil, for your kind words about our Sisters and for reading my blog. Sr. Thereselle amazes me...all that energy! Thank you for your ministry these past 20 year.

      Delete