Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Call to Prayer

In reference to the following entry: He called it off. Praise God!

In our community, we feel that it is important to pay attention to current events. It certainly gives us more things to pray for! In the novitiate, we watch the local and world news. The past couple of nights, ABC's World News has been informing us that Pastor Terry Jones and his congregation, will be hosting an event called "International Burn a Koran/Qur'an Day."

Pastor Jones believes that Islam is of the devil, and on 9/11/10, he plans on burning Qur'ans, a book so sacred to Muslims that they don't let it touch the floor. Several key political, cultural, military, and religious figures throughout the world, including the Vatican (click here for the awesome EWTN article) have tried to persuade him to call it off, but he is convinced that this is what Jesus would do. Muslims have tried to make peace with him to no avail. He will not call it off unless God gives Him a sign that it is the wrong thing to do. Um...I'd say all these key people giving him warnings not to do it is a pretty good sign...

I don't know what kind of "sign" Pastor Jones is looking for. I am not seeing any of the fruits of the Holy Spirit in this situation. They are charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control, and chastity. I believe that this is spiritual warfare. This is no reason to fear. God will turn all things to good, so we don't need to worry about it but entrust it to Him. As Sister Isabelle and I told our fifth graders last year, the devil is like a fire ant, and God is like Godzilla (Godzilla times infinity!). We need to be wary that we don't get discouraged by events like this and keep looking up to heavenly things.

I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world. -John 16:33

I am calling out to everyone to pray for everything involved in the situation, including its aftereffects. Everything from a sign for Pastor Jones and conversion for him and his followers to the safety of our troops. Pray for healing for all Muslims from the emotional pain of this planned event, pray for peace.... Please pray. Pray the rosary, pray before the Blessed Sacrament, pray the St. Michael the Archangel prayer, pray using your own words....please pray.

And He said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,' and he says in reply from within, 'Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.' I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence. "And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the holy Spirit to those who ask him?"
-Luke 11: 5-13


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment