Sunday, May 15, 2011

Poem: I'm the Daddy of a Nun

This Wednesday, I am going to be sharing about the stages of formation for our community, the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, but first, I want to share with you all a cute poem that's on a little card in the novitiate. This is in honor of all family members who have so generously shared their sons/daughters/sisters/brothers/nieces/nephews with the Church.



I'm the Daddy of a Nun


Sure my daughter has been vested
And my joy I cannot hide,
For I've watched her from the cradle
With a father's honest pride.

But the morn she left me early
I was feeling mighty blue,
Just a-thinking how I'd miss her
And the things she used to do.

But now, somehow it's different,--
With each rising of the sun,
And my heart is ever singing,
"I'm the daddy of a nun."

Since to err is only human
There's a whole lot on the slate,
That I'll have to make account for
When I reach the golden gate.

But then I'm not a-worrying
About the deeds I've done,
I'll just whisper to St. Peter:
"I'm the daddy of a nun."

Copyright 1954 by The Notre Dame Publishing Co., N.Y.C. Litho in Italy

5 comments:

  1. Our hearts leap with pride and joy as our little one learns to crawl for the first time. We sit and stare in wonderment as they take their first independent steps. Then if we are not prepared it can suddenly dawn on us that we have so little control over where they decide they want to explore!


    PlumbArena for Heating & Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a little teary eyed reading this poem. On May 1st 2021 one of our daughters is making her final vows as a Poor Clare.I won't be able to attend the ceremony because I've just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.But I know St.Peter will be taking notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave a copy of this to my Dad when I entered sixty years ago! Now I’m giving it to a friend whose daughter (whom I’ve known since she was a baby) receives the habit in August.

    ReplyDelete